Saturday, June 5, 2010

Maui - Part 2: The Hana Hwy

So our original plan was to see the sunrise from the volcano on Wednesday morning, but we realized that maybe we should save it until the boys were a little older.  So we decided to do the Hana Highway.  It wasn't nearly as bad as I thought it would be.  We had an excellent driver (Adam) and an excellent Navigator (Nick) - good thing he was up for the task - the rest of would have barfed while reading on that road. 
For some reason Maui seems to have may blue cars.  Here's one of the many one lane bridges we crossed.
It just cracked me up to see this sign a few miles in.  Nick the navigator in action!
So most of these pictures were taken from my seat (behind the Adam) in the moving car - I apologize for the shots of the guard rail
Nick suggested we stop in Keanae, and I think it was the best decision of the day - it was beautiful!  When Adam and I went to Maui six years ago (when we got engaged), we bought a couple paintings that hang on the wall of our bedroom.  We are now both convinced they are paintings of this spot - it is some of the bluest water I've ever seen.
The boys enjoying their sandwiches
It was cloudy when I took the earlier shots, so I felt compelled to take a few more in the sun
While the boys ate their PB&Js, we stopped for banana bread (very tasty) and hot dogs, and I had to have my shave ice - it was delicious!
One lane roads...
Nick and Mona
Black Sand Beach
Ah, nap time - finally!
Oops!  This is what happens when two cars (okay, a mini-bus and a truck with a trailer) try to pass on a turn
The Seven Pools as we drove by from above
Jack and Zak with their sticks - why do boys love their sticks?  Zak did go in the water (so did Adam and Nick), but Jack wasn't so interested
I love this one of Mona and Luke
Okay, so this is the unpaved portion of the road they warn you about past Hana.  We decided to go for it, since we heard it significantly cut down on the drive home. Plus it was a rental, what did we care?
It's amazing how fast the landscape changed - from lush green to pretty barren pretty quick

After about 11 hours round trip, we all decided we're glad we did it, but aren't in any hurry to do it again.  Glad we did it when the boys were at their current ages - any older and we would have heard a lot more complaints.  We did have the DVD player and it lasted about 2 1/2 movies before the battery died (unfortunately we didn't bring the car charger), but then Zak had his DS too.

No comments: